Thursday, August 24, 2006


my retirement dream




what do i intend to do after 38 years or 39 years in the teaching profession? so many of my contemporaries have been successful in their application for optional retirement. one of them is retiring at the end of this month at the young age of 54. i have been contemplating to do so either this year or next.

some of those to whom i have mentioned my intention are concerned. they asked: what are going to do to keep yourself occupied.

most of my friends who have retired do not stay at home lazying around, doing nothing. thai soon continues coaching kayaking and dragon boat racing. two others, khoo boo sun and mc wong, are giving lessons in sailing. a few others play golf on a regular basis and work on ad hoc projects. one, virabhak, has opted to be a full time counsellor.

even those who do not occupy themselves with work, continue to be active. victor, for example, walks into johor bahru every day and he has a schedule for meeting up with his different groups of friends. some like nara, balendra and sethi busy themselves looking after grandchildren.

it has been a dream of mine to open a small cafe in some obscure corner of singapore. not many such places left. this place could serve as a gathering point for old friends and ex-teachers. they can while away their time talking about the good old days. it may remain just a dream.

if i do go into this small business, it is not so much for the money but more for want of something to do to keep myself occupied. i can prepare a few of my favourite dishes and i also know where to source for good food at retail prices.

i will have more time to explore all the nooks and corners of singapore and to check out all the good food places. i will also like to visit all the small places in west malaysia. i can also shuttle between melbourne and singapore, visiting my daughter or daughters, should ida decide to pursue her university education in melbourne.

i will have more time to write my own life story and post the stories on my blog. in my own way, i am writing my autobiography.

i actually enjoy doing house work, so there will always be something for me to do at home. and the plants will get more of my care and attention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home