Tuesday, January 02, 2007


adjusting running style


i started running seriously when i joined the teachers' training college in 1968. prior to that, i had taken part in a cross-country race when i was in pre-university. i was more into middle distance events. i helped to organise and i took part in the cross country and road relay events. on the track, i participated in the 1500 metres, 2000m steeplechase, 3000m and the 5000m.

when i picked up the sports, i did not know anything about pacing, arm movements, leg movements, stride length, forward lean and so on. i just ran. in time i realised that my running style was not very efficient. i ran with my feet sprayed; in other words, the feet were pointing outwards instead of pointing straight ahead.

my colleague, who was a state runner, pointed out my fault to me. i set about to rectify my uneconomical style of running. i made a conscious effort to walk with my feet pointing right ahead. and, over time, it became second nature to me. today, when i walk, i do not have my feet pointing to the side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home